Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Smacked in the face by that wafting funk."

Ok, so...

The apartment search in Wolfville is really something to behold. The process of going to building, after basement, after (in some cases) rathole is both nauseating and exhausting at points - a circumstance that is definitely not made any better by the state that some of these places are kept in by their tenants. Now, I will not even begin to argue that fact that I am an incredibly "tidy" person. Most people who know me can likely recall of at least one occasion where I had come to refer to my room as The Pit, but really, it isn't like their landlords don't at least notify them of when they are bringing prospective renters by? Personally, if I knew that people I didn't (or perhaps did?) know were coming by to check out my place, I'd clean it up! I would at least push everything into a closet or something and pray that those people wouldn't end up looking in there? If I lived in a sty, I would be mortified to know that my first experience meeting someone involved them coming into my foul, cruddy, dank abode. Would they remember that about you if they ever saw you again? Hells yes! I know I will.

Most shocking though, was not the randomly scattered dirty laundry, food-crusted dishes, or even the soap-scum caked showers or repugnantly stained toilets. It was the smell. Yes, the smell! And not just any smell. A smell that is representative of itself and unmistakable in aroma. Body Odor. An overpowering stench that will send even the most desperate foragers fleeing in the opposite direction. It is a wonder to me that people can hunker down in their homes like that? I mean, I suppose if you were trapped in there for a while, you would become somewhat immune to the stank...but what about when you leave? There is no way that you could return to that from a day out in crisp, refreshing, unadulterated air and not be smacked in the face by that wafting funk.

I'm pretty sure that the whole experience has scarred me for life, but on a positive note...from now on, my place will always be clean!

Stay swicked,

- Jenn


No comments: