Friday, December 24, 2010

Okay, you know what? That isn't fair. He wasn't bizarre, he was just...unconventional? Does that sound a bit better?

Ok, so...

First of all, Merry Christmas! I hope you are all well!

Secondly. Karma is a bitch.

I have been learning this repeatedly over the last few days.

Example #1:

On Sunday night my church had it's annual carol service. This thing has been going on for about as long as I can remember. Seriously. And for the last couple years I have always sung at it. This year I didn't come home from school until the 19th, and this was the day of the service, so the organist (who works in the music department at Dalhousie University) brought in a tenor to sing one of the very common, but beautiful arias from Handel's Messiah. I read his name in the bulletin and thought to myself, "I dated a (person with that name) back in high school" and then I didn't think anything else of it. Turns out that I should have, because it was the same guy. Now, you have to understand, this guy was bizarre back in high school. I mean, mega bizarre. Long hair, leather jacket. Okay, you know what? That isn't fair. He wasn't bizarre, he was just...unconventional? Does that sound a bit better? Anyway, the point is that I never expected him to be so amazingly talented...and he really, really was. Karma is a bitch.

Example #2:

Remember Fred? The guy that I dated in high school and the reason that I turned down Bill (the guy I thought might be the one that got away)? Well, a few weeks ago when I was home visiting some friends, we went out to celebrate a birthday. We went to a bar - an entirely sketchy bar that I had never been to before - and of all the people that could have possibly ever been there, Fred was. It had been about 4 years since I'd seen him and he looked about the same. Older, and more mature maybe, but about the same...which was the ONLY thing that was the same. When we were younger, he had real issues with self esteem and he had no ambition. Now, he is in the navy, repairs ships, has a pretty serious girlfriend who is moving here for him, and owns a really lovely house - I went to see it a few days ago. I don't know if this whole thing occurred as way for him to prove that he made something of himself to me, or if it really did just occur by chance...but he looked great, and is doing really well. Karma is a bitch.

There are actually several other examples that I could give that have occurred over the last little while, but I think that these here are enough to prove my point. Sometimes, the shallow decisions you make come back to bite you in the ass, and they teach you a lesson big time. Ha.

Deckin' the halls,

 - Jenn

No comments: