Sunday, December 19, 2010

"A person who is 'on the hook' will be overly infatuated with another person."

Ok, so...


Have you ever heard of the idea of being "on the hook"?


According to urbandictionary.com:


A person who is "on the hook" will be overly infatuated with another person. The person who is the desired generally takes little notice (and often complete advantage) of the person who is on the hook.


Often times the person who is on the hook is a back-up.


Signs that you are on the hook:
1) giving foot rubs
2) making mixed tapes/cds/play lists
3) making chocolate cake
4) dropping everything at a moments notice to be with the other person.
Ted: "Lisa came over last night and I gave her a foot rub as we watched a move."
Marshall: "Are you guys dating now?"
Ted: "No, she is still with her boyfriend, she is just looking for the right time to break the news."
Marshall: "Dude, you are so on the hook."

The previous exemplary conversation is a snippet from Season 5, Episode 17 of How I Met Your Mother entitled "Hooked" (if you have never seen this or ever even heard of this idea, I highly suggest checking this episode out - it explains everything very well). 

A friend of mine has been "on the hook" for quite awhile now. He dated this girl, she broke up with him and thus far, he has failed to get over it. However, it isn't the fact that he is still hung up on her that really confuses me - that has happened to a lot of us, and it will continue to happen until the end of time. Instead, it's what she has continued to do since breaking up with him that really baffles me. She sends him flirty texts, comes over for very misleading visits, posts suggestive statements on likealittle.com (if you don't know what this is, check it out: www.likealittle.com - it's a time!). All of this points to one conclusion: she has him on her hook. I feel really terrible for him because his feelings are throughly involved and to a point where he has no idea how to get out of the situation. He'd rather be involved with her in the hook capacity than not at all. I can fully admit that I knowingly did that with the one that got away and it sucked. I feel for him. I really do.

At this point, I'm can safely say that I'm pretty sure I'm not on anyone's hook. However, for the amount of guys that I have been involved with that were in problem relationships, it is inevitable that I have unknowingly been on a few hooks. You know, where I was stupid enough to think that something good was going to come out of a situation where it never did, and never was going to in the first place.

To all of you out there who are on someone's hook, I feel for you. Maybe this entry will help you figure out that you are, and therefore help you get out. 

Unhooked,

 - Jenn 

No comments: