Friday, January 07, 2011

"I really do believe long-distance can work when you are with the right person - essentially someone who requires the same amount of attention in a relationship as you do."

Ok, so...

I don't know if any of you, my lovely readers (who I completely appreciate, as the number grows everyday) have experienced this, but I think I'm experiencing it right now: The prospect plagued by challenges. New Year's Eve guy, from my last entry, is awesome. Perhaps even the most awesome guy I've gotten to know in awhile. He is funny, sweet, adorable, sexy...so far, the whole package. There is only one problem. We are going to be plagued by long-distance right from the get go. I spend most of my time away, and a little of it at home. He does the same. Home is close for both of us, away is not. There is going to be some travelling involved if we want to make "this" happen. We're talking about 2 hours. It could most definitely be worse. I'm counting my blessings that it isn't.

Now, I'm someone who has had quite a bit of experience with long-distance - obviously it has never really worked out or I wouldn't be single now. However, despite all that, I'm not jaded in the least. I really do believe long-distance can work when you are with the right person - essentially someone who requires the same amount of attention in a relationship as you do. If one person is clingy and the other is independent, it never works because the clinger will be smothering the free bird in an effort to spend as much time with them as possible, whenever it's possible. Conversely, some people are also far more willing to live with a situation as it is for the moment, resolving to just let nature take it's course. I like to think, that for the most part, I am one of those people. There are many who can't accept something for what it is, and therefore spend obscene amounts of time fixating on what will be the most challenging parts as opposed to what will be the most worthwhile parts of something. In my effort to be the "willing-to-live-in-the-situation-as-it-is-for-the-moment,-resolving-to-let-nature-take-it's-course" kind, I hope NYE guy is this type too.

Scratching the surface,

- Jenn

No comments: