Saturday, January 01, 2011

"Why does it look desperate if you talk to someone soon after meeting them? Doesn't that just show that you're interested, enjoyed their company, and would like to enjoy it again?"

Ok, so...

New Year's Eve was quite an enjoyable occasion this year. This is not to say that I haven't had any that weren't at least somewhat fun in the past, but (and a lot of people say this) it always seems like New Year's Eve gets blown up to be this huge deal, and then when it doesn't quite work out as planned, people are disappointed. Truthfully, I didn't know what to expect this year - I went to a party with a few friends where there would be a few people we did know, and a whole lot that we didn't. The person who was having the party (whom I completely love) was holding it at the rather impressive house that he and his boyfriend share. This place has it's own dance floor, DJ booth, and several pinball machines. The place is awesome! This party was a totally great concept, except for the fact (as you can imagine) that most of the guests were gay men. Now, I love me some gay men - they make the greatest kind of friends - but that doesn't do a lot for the single gal. Therefore,  I had come to accept that it this would not be a night for meeting someone new...at least, that's what I thought.

Interestingly enough, in a situation where the pickings of straight men were indeed very slim, I actually did meet someone. A work friend of one of my very good friends. He's very sweet, and while he is also painfully shy, it sort of works in his favour - he's almost cuter because of it, ironically enough. I GAVE him MY number because I didn't think there was anyway he would get up the courage to ask, and I've waited since to see if I hear anything. My friend talked to him today and worked to set up some plans for tomorrow night and asked if he was going to text me, to which he replied "definitely." So, as I anxiously sit and wait to hear from him (and wonder if I will at all), I can't help but wonder...where did that rule that says you can't contact someone too soon because it looks desperate come from? Why does it look desperate if you talk to someone soon after meeting them? Doesn't that just show that you're interested, enjoyed their company, and would like to enjoy it again? I don't understand why people wait three days before they nonchalantly contact someone, all the while allowing the other person to wonder if you like them at all? It's agonizing! And honestly, if someone gives you their number, they must be interested! They are clearly hoping to hear from you! Otherwise, they wouldn't have given you an in? It would be so much easier if people were just willing to speak what was on their mind - "I like you" or "I don't like you" or whatever. Why do we all feel the need to play such meticulously thought out games while trying to get involved with someone new, when all we really want to say is I like you, and I hope you like me too?

Welcome to 2011,

 - Jenn

No comments: